Pumpkin is rich in nutrients and abundant in the fall. Whether you puree your own or buy canned, you can enjoy pumpkin in a variety of dishes. Canned pumpkin puree (Not pumpkin pie filling!) makes this cake a hasty tasty quick bread. I use the Vitamix to make the batter, but a mixer works, too. The maple glaze is optional.
- cooking spray
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- 6 oz. Egg Beaters®
- 15 oz. can pureed pumpkin
- 3 Tbsp. powdered sugar (for glaze)
- 1 Tbsp. real maple syrup (for glaze)
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Spray inside of a 8½” X 4½” loaf pan or a small tube cake pan with cooking spray.
- In a 2 quart mixing bowl or pitcher, combine all dry ingredients. Form a depression in the center. Set aside.
- In the Vitamix container (or a mixing bowl) combine the pumpkin and Egg Beaters® starting at Variable Speed 1. Gradually increase speed to 10 then High. Run for 20 seconds.
- Add the wet ingredients to the center of dry ingredients and fold using a spatula or spoon. Don’t over mix. Batter will be stiff.
- Spoon batter into the loaf pan and place in the oven.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Remove cake from pan and cool on a rack, at least 30 minutes.
- In a small plastic food storage bag, combine powdered sugar and real maple syrup. Seal bag then snip a hole in one corner to create a small piping bag.
- Drizzle the cake lightly with the glaze and serve.
Variations: If you prefer a less dense cake, use 1 cup whole wheat flour and 1 cup all-purpose flour. Add ½ cup nuts for more fiber and flavor.
Note: Cake will be dense and moist.
Yield: 12 servings